USMNT vs. Germany – Starting XI & Lineup Notes | International Friendly presented by AT&T 5G
Pre-Game Coverage: 2:30 p.m. ET on TNT, Telemundo, MAX, Peacock Kickoff: 3 p.m. ET on TNT, Telemundo, MAX, Peacock, Futbol de Primera Radio
USMNT vs. Germany, presented by AT&T 5G
Oct. 14, 2023
Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field; East Hartford, Conn.
Pre-Game Coverage: 2:30 p.m. ET on TNT, Telemundo, MAX, Peacock
Kickoff: 3 p.m. ET on TNT, Telemundo, MAX, Peacock, Futbol de Primera Radio
Social Media: @USMNT on X and Instagram; U.S. Soccer on Facebook , The U.S. Soccer App
Today’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Germany: 1-Matt Turner, 2-Sergiño Dest, 4-Chris Richards, 6-Yunus Musah, 7-Gio Reyna, 8-Weston McKennie, 10-Christian Pulisic (capt.), 13-Tim Ream, 19-Joe Scally, 20-Folarin Balogun, 21-Tim Weah
Substitutes: 18-Ethan Horvath, 3-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 5-DeJuan Jones, 9-Ricardo Pepi, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 12-Miles Robinson, 14-Luca de la Torre, 15-Johnny Cardoso, 16-Kevin Paredes, 17-Alex Zendejas, 22-Lenny Maloney, 23-Kristoffer Lund
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Christian Pulisic (63), Tim Ream (53), Weston McKennie (47), Matt Turner (34), Tim Weah (34), Yunus Musah (30), Sergiño Dest (29), Gio Reyna (21), Chris Richards (13), Joe Scally (7), Folarin Balogun (5)
- Today’s Starting XI has an average age of 24 years, 217 days. It’s the youngest lineup the USMNT has put out in 12 matches against Germany.
- The lineup also averages 30 caps.
- Midfielder Gio Reyna makes his first USMNT appearance since suffering a broken bone in the Concacaf Nations League Final against Canada on June 18.
- Midfielder Yunus Musah (20 years, 319 days) becomes only the fourth USMNT player to earn 30 caps before his 21st birthday. He is the third youngest player to achieve the feat, beating Landon Donovan (20 years, 320 days) by one day.
|USMNT Players to Reach 30 Caps Before 21st Birthday|
|Player||Age||Date of 30th Cap|
|Jozy Altidore||20 years, 277 days||Aug. 10, 2010 vs. Brazil|
|Christian Pulisic||20 years, 288 days||July 3, 2019 vs. Jamaica|
|Yunus Musah||20 years, 319 days||Oct. 14, 2023 vs. Germany|
|Landon Donovan||20 years, 320 days||Jan. 18, 2003 vs. Canada|
- Nine of the Starting XI are age 25 and younger: Weston McKennie and Christian Pulisic (25), Chris Richards and Tim Weah (23); Folarin Balogun and Sergiño Dest (22); Yunus Musah, Joe Scally and Gio Reyna (20).
- Having just celebrated his 36th birthday on Oct. 5, Tim Ream becomes the 10th field player to earn a USMNT cap after age 36. The last time a field player 36 or older appeared for the USMNT came on Sept. 5, 2001 at Costa Rica in World Cup qualifying when 38-year-old Preki Radosavljevic came off the bench in the 71st minute. The last time a field player 36 or older started for the USMNT came in 37-year-old Thomas Dooley’s send-off match on Feb. 21, 1999 vs. Chile.
- Ream is also just the fourth modern-era (1990-present) field player to earn a USMNT cap after hitting age 36, following Fernando Clavijo (31 caps), Dooley (15 caps) and Preki (2 caps).
- Christian Pulisic captains the USMNT for the 18th time tonight. The team is 13-1-3 when Pulisic wears the armband, with the only loss coming in the 1-0 defeat to Italy on Nov. 20, 2018 in his first match as captain.
USMNT Goal Contributions All-Time Leaders
|Player||G+A||Goals / Assists||GP|
|Landon Donovan||115||57 / 58||157|
|Clint Dempsey||76||57 / 19||141|
|Jozy Altidore||56||42 / 14||115|
|Eric Wynalda||51||34 / 17||106|
26 / 14
|Brian McBride||40||30 / 10||95|
|Michael Bradley||40||17 / 23||151|
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner makes his team-leading 10th appearance of 2023. Turner has appeared in 15 of the 17 USMNT matches during FIFA windows since last September and has collected 21 shutouts and a 21-4-8 record in 33 career appearances.
- Striker Folarin Balogun starts his fifth consecutive match for the USMNT.
- Balogun and Scally make their first international appearances against UEFA opposition, while veterans Tim Ream and Weston McKennie each make their 10th appearances against a European national team.
- Tim Ream and Chris Richards partner in central defense for the second time tonight, having previously paired in last month’s 3-0 win against Uzbekistan in St. Louis.
- Five starters have ties to the German Bundesliga. Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund) and Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengbadlbach) currently play in the German top flight, while Weston McKennie (Schalke), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund) and Chris Richards (Hoffenheim, Bayern Munich) have previously spent time in Germany.
- Four starters have scored goals against European opposition. Weston McKennie scored 21 minutes into his international debut in the 1-1 draw against Portugal on Nov. 14, 2017, Gio Reyna and Christian Pulisic scored in the 2-1 win at Northern Ireland on March 28, 2021, and Tim Weah registered the opening goal in the USA’s 1-1 draw against Wales on Nov. 21, 2022 at the FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
- Should he come off the bench today, German-born midfield Lenny Maloney would become the third player in USMNT history to debut against the country of his birth, following Terry Springthorpe (June 8, 1953 vs. England) and Jerry Panek (August 3, 1973 vs. Poland).
- A potential Maloney first cap would also mark the 60th debut under Gregg Berhalter, tying him with Bob Bradley for the second most debuts among USMNT head coaches.
|Head Coach||Debuts||Games Coached|
- Should he come off the bench today, Cameron Carter-Vickers would earn his first USMNT appearance since his strong performance against IR Iran in the World Cup group stage finale on Nov. 29, 2022.
- With his next goal or assist, Pulisic (40 G+A; 26 goals, 14 assists) will move into sole possession of fifth on the USMNT’s all-time goal contributions leaderboard.
- Gregg Berhalter has a 39-11-12 record in 62 matches as USMNT head coach and holds both the highest winning percentage (.726) and highest unbeaten percentage (.823) of any manager that has coached eight or more matches.
- Berhalter is also 2-2-3 against opposition from UEFA.
- Six starters are products of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, with five having come through MLS Academies: Weston McKennie and Chris Richards (FC Dallas), Gio Reyna and Joe Scally (New York City FC), Tim Weah (New York Red Bulls), and Christian Pulisic (PA Classics).
- The USMNT is 4-7-0 in 11 all-time matches against Germany. Today’s match is the first meeting since the USA’s 2-1 win on June 10, 2015 in Cologne.
- Six substitutions are allowed in three different moments. Halftime does not count as a substitution moment.
- Fernando Guerrero of Mexico is the referee for today’s match. The USA is 0-1-1 in matches officiated by Guerrero. He’s previously overseen the 1-1 draw with Panama in the Gold Cup group stage on July 8, 2017 in Nashville, Tenn. and the 2-0 defeat to Brazil in a friendly on Sept. 7, 2018 in East Rutherford, N.J.